For those of you unsure about what KYAH is: (pronounced KAI-YA!)
KYAH stands for Kick Your Ass Hard!!! It is a multi day triathlon training camp held in a destination, which provides ample opportunity to swim, bike, and run. KYAH provides a great opportunity to take your fitness level to new heights.
The schedule provides for heavy volume training--all of which is coached and supervised by professional triathlon coaches. Camp size is always limited to allow for a more intimate setting and to ensure plenty of one on one attention. You will come away from KYAH with a new sense of confidence in your racing and training potential.
Depending on which KYAH you attend, the camp will include plenty of epic riding, monstrous climbing, distance running on the roads and on the trails, and open water swimming. Each KYAH offers different challenges based upon it's location. It is an amazing and unforgettable experience.
CAMPERS REFLECT ON KYAH....
RTA Nation - just arrived home from an epic camp. I'll post a more detailed recap later in the week but I wanted to take a few moments to thanks Elizabeth and Chris for providing a fantastic training camp. Even with the harsh weather we put in 4+ days of good hard yet fun training and everyone who attended achieved a personal record along the way. For me it was a PR in the LP half marathon the day after riding 113 miles. To my other fellow campers please post a recap so all in the Nation can truly understand why these camps are a must attend. Lastly before I get in big trouble, thanks to my wife Nancy for the great support in the Kia Soul SAG Wagon!" -Eric K
Well this was my first KYAH/KYWAS experience and it was just amazing. I learned so much and also got to know some pretty inspiring people who push themselves everyday. Going in I thought this was going to be over my head, but I surprised myself with what you can accomplish with the right people by your side.
Elizabeth/Chris… you both are amazing people who are truly inspiring, and Elizabeth back out on the road again showing us what your truly made of and reminding us to always reach into your back pocket for that little extra!!
And Nancy, thank you for checking on my after my first screaming decent.. and I truly mean screaming :-) I was totally shaking after that.. thanks
Looking forward to seeing you all in Syracuse 70.3 and the in IMLP " - Susan S
Having now attended KYAH twice in the past 2 years, I can't agree more with Eric's accolades, including thanks to Nancy for her support!!
With just two months of training this season after 5 months recovery from shoulder surgery, I swam the furthest distance ever! The camp provided an excellent transition from Olympic distance to Half IM all in the beautiful , though wet, LP environment.
Above all I got to know some fantastic, supportive people who just so happen to be my teammates. In such an individualized sport, it's so great to give and receive encouragement.
Finally, no matter what her mother says, Elizabeth is an inspiration to us all, having pulled me up the 3 bears on her bike and still running a faster pace in the half marathon less than a week from a horrific bike crash. Chris, Eric, Ryan, and Tommy pulled me the rest of the way!
These are the types of experiences that truly make us the RTA Nation!" - Pete W
- "BIG thanks goes to Chris and Elizabeth...for not only coaching us through a cloudy and rainy weekend, but more so dealing with 6 of their athletes who had wet, rain and sweat-soaked clothing hanging in the front room everyday. (I should also give credit to Wilson and Paige who had to endure this smell while sleeping). And thank you Elizabeth for making BOMB-ASS burritos that were not only healthy, but also ridiculously delicious!
The weekend was epic for all, and truly something not to be missed in the future! It not only gives us a chance to do what we all love, but also an opportunity to realize why we put in the countless hours and continue to train relentlessly, pushing ourselves to achieve more.
It's an innate force which we all share that drives us to be the best we can possibly be everyday, with the encouragement and support of great coaches and awesome teammates. I think Wilson said it, but being a part of RTA Nation, you would never think you were competing in an individual sport.
It was a fantastic weekend with many laughs, and great times!" -Tommy N
- "Thanks for another great KYAH. Based on the fact that I slept the entire plane ride home I think my A was particularly well K'ed." -John (KYAH Florida)
Just wanted to say thank you again for an enjoyable few days at KYAH.
Thought it took me to another level and brought me into the “real life” of tri athletes.
I have really appreciated the “added” attention on the details of things … and hope that I kept up the quality level within the group.
As always and never in question … the bonding times were for the memory book."
- Tim E (KYAH Florida)
- "Thank you both again for putting together a great training weekend. I feel really prepared for Timberman both mentally and physically. Being able to have these focused weekends is a really huge benefit of training with you both. I realize that the timing, while perfect for me, was really hard for you both given where you both are in your recoveries, which makes your effort all the more appreciated." -John J (KYAH Lake Placid)
- "Having just come back from 4 days of training camp, there are some valuable lessons I have learned... 10-There is no such thing as too much chamois cream 9-The only easy day was yesterday (thx - JJ for that quote!) 8-Suffering is more fun with friends 7- Swimming in a lake in the rain is awesome 6-You are not supposed to feel good running 8 miles off the bike after riding for 3+ hours; 6a - HEED + Hammer Gel + Endurolytes = a nutritional trinity 5- Old Roy may have been a cinematic genius ;) (inside joke) 4- 8-10% grade is really not a big deal to climb on your bike 3- Margaritas can be used as a substitute to clean one's hands in lieu of a wet-nap 2- It is possible to run 8 miles with your t-shirt on backwards without a degredation in run performance. 2a - It is possible to be so tired that you don't even care if your t-shirt is on backwards! 1- I have trained hard enough to finish Timberman on 2 feet!" -Steve Kass (KYAH Lake Placid)
2014 KYAH: Pompano Beach, FL
Get a leg up on the competition with this perfect opportunity to leave the snow and slush behind and get in some epic training!
April 10 - April 13, 2014
KYAH POMPANO BEACH INCLUDES:
• Accommodations (with ALL-INCLUSIVE option)
Shared accomodations at the Wyndham Royal Vista. This 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite will sleep 6 athletes and is complete with a full kitchen and washer dryer. The resort is located ON THE BEACH complete with a fitness center, business center, 2 pools, and a beachfront tiki bar!
• Entry to the Florida State, Pompano Beach Aquatics Center…just 2 miles from your resort!!!
This is the swimming complex of your dreams. It’s massive and blue and deep and perfect. 50 meters of OUTDOOR greatness! We will be here each day accelerating our swim fitness and taking our stroke to the next level!
• Daily coached swim, bike and run sessions
We will swim in the warm Atlantic Ocean. Perfect for learning to manage the waves. We will work on technique and ramp our swim fitness at the State Aquatics Center in their 50M outdoor pool.
We will bike surfside on Ocean Boulevard with spectacular riding north along the Intercoastal and Atlantic Ocean.
We will ride through the beautiful towns of Boca towards Palm Beach. Flat and fast with big wide open bike lanes!
We will run in the sand and on the run paths, which parallel the ocean. Ahh…breathe it in!
• Lectures or Workshop each evening
We will have a talk each evening covering transition, nutrition, and bike maintenance.
• Transportation to and from all training sessions
• Transportation to and from the Fort Lauderdale International Airport
We will pick you up and drop you off at the airport if you arrive/depart by the designated time. Time TBD.
• COMPLIMENTARY Access to training Fuel, powered by HAMMER NUTRITION and POWERBAR
• COMPLIMENTARY Access to NORMATEC RECOVERY BOOTS and Massage available on site
• Saturday night group PARTY!
REGISTRATION OPENING SOON
Team RTA ALL INCLUSIVE with lodging: $800
Team RTA with no lodging: $450
Non-RTA ALL INCLUSIVE with lodging: $900
Non-RTA with no lodging: $550
OPTIONAL BIKE TRANSPORT TO AND FROM NJ!
We will bring your bike FULLY ASSEMBLED and your gear bag down to Florida in our team trailer.
*Plan to drop off your bike with RTA by 4/4 and expect it back in NJ by 4/16.
Round trip transportation so that you don’t have to be bothered with costly airline fees and lugging your stuff through the airport.
TEAM RTA: $200
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
**ARRIVE BY 12:30PM FOR AIRPORT PICKUP
Meet out front of the Wyndham for a 45-60 min beachside run-on paved trail
*4:00PM OCEAN SWIM
Meet on the beach. You choose your distance, follow the buoys.
Location TBD, Lecture on Fueling
Depart 6AM SHARP from the Wyndham
56 mile ride north along A1A
Off the bike, 3-6 miles
Swim clinic/practice at the Aquatics Center
Location TBD, Lecture on Transition/Bike Maintenance
Depart 8AM SHARP from Wyndham
30-40 miles. "Boca Intervals" Faster paced efforts and paceline practice
TRANSITION RUN - 30minutes
Swim practice at the Aquatics Center
Meet at the Ocean Front Tiki Bar
Dinner/Group party-ARUBA’S Fort Lauderdale
**Afternoon Departure for the FLL airport-Time 3PM
Optional. Meet on the beach.
Optional. Meet on the beach.
2014 KYAH: Lake Placid, NY
Ideal for athletes training for late June & July Events
June 5 - June 8, 2014
REGISTRATION OPENING SOON
Team RTA w/ lodging (limited): $650 SOLD OUT in 2013
Team RTA w/ No lodging: $450
Non-RTA w/ lodging (limited): $750 SOLD OUT in 2013
Non-RTA w/ No lodging: $550
If you have any questions, please contact us at Info@RidgewoodTriAthlete.com
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
7 mile run w/ 2.5 miles on Jackrabbit (Trail)
*4:00PM SWIM - Mirror Lake
Meet on the beach. Swim 1 loop - 1.2 miles
Dinner on your own. Lights out early. Rest up!
Depart 6AM SHARP municiple lot across from Golden Arrow Hotel
Bike 112 miles - 2 loops of Lake Placid bike course
Off the bike, 45 minutes
Lake Placid Pub & Brewery (One of our INCREDIBLE sponsors)
*7AM SWIM - Mirror Lake
Meet on beach. Swim 2 loops - 2.4 miles
Breakfast to follow swim
*11AM BIKE - Whiteface Climb (be scared!)
Bike ~35mi - End on the top of the world (AMAZING VIEWS)
Dinner at the Dancing Bears, High Peaks Resort
*8AM RUN - Lake Placid Half Marathon***
***Campers are responsible to register on their own. Race fee not included in camp.
*Iron distance athletes to run an additional 7 miles post race
*SWIM - Mirror Lake
Optional. Meet on the beach. 1 loop - 1.2 miles